Work in Progress

Baseball, Seminary, Wrestling, and the Dreams and Days of one Mike Work's Angeles experience

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Magnificat

Two weeks till Christmas, and the spirit of consumerism is in full force. I always notice it, especially when in Atlanta, and can usually count on one week-of late night drive when i vent my frustrations, first in the car, and then to my mom, who just has that knack of knowing when to wait up for me.

To be quite candid, i just want to puke when i contrast the significance that the gospel writers ascribe to Jesus' birth with the holiday closely connected to the events. In the end, I try to tune out the hubbub and listen attentively to the words of a teenage virgin from a dumpy hick town, who mysteriously finds favor with God, and breaks into song. Her words?

My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
He has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly;
He has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendents for ever.

May it be so.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Jenn Cannon said…

    Amen, Mike! And thanks for the reminder... I LOVE Mary's Magnificat, for the very reason you mention.

    I love to consider the reality of a young, unmarried, undervalued, oppressed girl - being told she's pregnant by a miracle of God... and she breaks into song!

    What an example of faithful to God! I can only hope that I would be as faithful - and I know that I, myself, cannot be. Only God can give me that faith!

    Thanks, Mike, for the reminder!!
    Have a Blessed Season of remembrance!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home