Work in Progress

Baseball, Seminary, Wrestling, and the Dreams and Days of one Mike Work's Angeles experience

Sunday, October 30, 2005

How I love and loathe my local newspaper...

Today's LA Times featured several articles that piqued my interest and were worth a read, such as this piece on MS-13, and the unforeseen consequences of deportations, which have actually spread the gang's reach across international borders.

I also appreciated Steve Lopez' article on Skid Row, part of a series on Life on the Streets, complete with contact information for people serving the people who, for lack of another word, live there. Finally, a piece on employment and career possibilities for people living with mental illnesses will make the long-term reference file, especially pertinent if i'm working in any sort of rehabilitative/restorative capacity, be it through ngos/nonprofits, social service agencies, or living as a pastoral person in a church family.

And then there was Plaschke taking his usual potshots at fired Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta, leaving me groaning and rolling my eyes.

This is why i get my baseball news from the blogosphere...and have linked up my preferred sites to the right. Rob McMillin's coverage of the situation (and dissection of Plaschke's column) and Jon Weisman's three-piece band would be Work's recommended reads.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    plaschke seems like an idiot on around the horn. then again, ALL THOSE GUYS seem like idiots.

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Kevin Lewis said…

    I haven't seen the potshots, but I am not too sad to see DePodesta go. I don't even know if I can bring myself to go back to Chavez Ravine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home